Sunday, July 26, 2009

Pinellas County, Florida was agricultural.

It's not agricultural now. The only thing that remains are roads such as Brian Dairy Road. Saul's Dairy is gone without leaving a trace. I know where it was because it is in my memory. Your first responds is likely that it has no consequence to you. And, you would likely be right. But it does to the students that drank milk from those dairies.

I live in what was an orange grove. A few of us have citrus trees in our back yards that create enough for me and a few friends. I tried to sell what I didn't want a few years ago and got cited by Code Enforcement. Giving them away is also a problem.

Zoning has restricted manufacturing. There are now few areas zoned for industry. However, there are still a few zones where clean manufacturing is allowed.

Manufacturing has traditionally been where your students could eventually earn a living and support a family. That has ended. What we have now is retailing, restaurants, medical services, pan handling, street walking and law enforcement. What kind of a future is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment