Wednesday, January 07, 2009

The Golden Rule

I began thinking about The Golden Rule a few days ago. It’s something that I was first taught when I was a Sunday school student in Edenville, MI. Later, it would occasionally be a subject of discussion on the long school bus ride to Midland High School. Then, it would gradually fade from my consciousness to resurface a few days ago.

The Golden Rule has been replaced with:

1. Mutual Assured Destruction (MAD)
2. Zero Tolerance (ZT)
3. Do unto others before they can do it to you. (Preemption)
4. It is better to be feared than loved.
5. Intimidate, Dominate and Control (IDC)
6. The Rule of Law

Perhaps the Law of the Jungle should be added to this list. This may be what is controlling the behavior of humans in a city like New York.

I did not explain The Golden Rule because those that understand it do not need an explanation. Those that do not, will wonder what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment