Sunday, June 28, 2009

Some are already angry.

I didn't go to to the Boat Club last night because I felt threatened by angry people last Tuesday.
There I heard a long tragic story from a 52-year-old mother who was recently fired from the Home Depot.

I thought in the beginning that the arrival of the Home Depot was going to be tragic for many. It is a convenience for me. For the small independent retailers, it was the beginning of the end. My father thought that bigger was better. People like him bought from the biggest retailers. However, I continued to buy from Holiday Wholesale until it closed. It had been the source of income for a family, a few friend and a good neighbor. There I could write a check without producing a ID and get helpful advise regarding solving a plumbing problem.

The Home Depot not only caused small retailers to closed, it blocked others from starting. If you were not authorized by the Home Depot and willing to forfeit 10% of the sale, then you were not allowed into the Home Depot circle.

So if you cannot start a business, then you have to work for perhaps the Home Depot as an employee. You become wage slave. Is Junior achievement about becoming a wage slave?

Code Enforcement has gradually become a blocking factor. There is little that you can do that does not require a permit and a required license to get the permit. They both require money up-front. If you advertise and you are investigated. The result of that is usually a visit from a Code Enforcement officer. This has been extended to your own home. Yes, in most cases a permit is required to improve or repair even your own home.

Not long ago the desperate could take scrap to the Hobb's Junk yard. That now has been blocked. Every way they turn, their a source of income is blocked by rules, regulations and enforcers. This is not the end of the story. It is just that I have exceeded my willingness to write.

Their anger is justified.

No comments:

Post a Comment